Monday, May 5, 2014

Freedom, digital distraction and control

I would currently consider myself at the second level, control through technology. Students are allowed to use devices for very specific tasks, and they know that if they abuse this privilege, then they are banned from using electronic devices for as long as I see fit. So far, this strategy has worked pretty well, however, I do not consider myself at level three yet. Ideally, I want my students to self-check their personal device use, and use self-discipline to know when it is appropriate to use them and when it is not. I do not know if that will ever happen, but I like to think that I am attempting to instill these values into my students. That being said, I think that this reliance on technology is not always for the best. Students really need to take a step back from them sometimes and experience the world in a non-digital way. I found this video on the internet yesterday. You can watch it and make your own opinions. However, it really made me think and realize that I am just as guilty as anyone else.

http://blog.petflow.com/this-is-a-video-everyone-needs-to-see-for-the-first-time-in-my-life-im-speechless/?utm_source=ilmd&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=speechless

No comments:

Post a Comment